Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012- The end

Its the eve of the new year right now 7:15, I'm currently chilling in a midtown New York apartment sharing a bottle of  cheap Chilean wine with monsieur Corentin Maurel. Feeling the need to do one last productive thing in 2011 because what will transpire tonight will be far from it...
After procuring a keyboard to attach to my fried out laptop (yes water spilled on the keyboard), I am back in the writing game after 20 odd days out of it. Excuses, I know its just slackness.

Hope everybody had a merry Christmas, or should I say I wish everybody had a happy holidays (see this is the 'PC' way to communicate positive feeling toward a fellow human being in the US). As far as I am aware, there is far less controversy over these two little words in Australia. It is an issue that makes the blood of both republicans and democrats boil , but really for over what? For those who with alternative religions to Christianity or Catholicism, how do you respond to this phrase merry Christmas?

For me, I was in New York down the hispter side of town in Williamsburg, when a jewish guy wished me happy chunnakah. I wished him it back. No I do not know the origins of it nor do I know the exact details of this practise, but I said it with conviction because it genuinely meant something to him and I wanted to reciprocate such a genuine greeting.

Sure it is arguable that there should be no dominant religion in the US where there is no official language and same could be said about Aus. Its the debate over the delegation of appropriate resources between minority and majority. But there are greater societal issues at hand than the imposition of a warm greeting with religious connotations. So in my round about sort of way I'm saying we should all be receptive of different religious practices and the traditions they have introduced into our society and enjoy and embrace the varying benefits they bring to our lives.

So now after my observations (rant) I wish everybody the best for 2012. Monsieur Maurel just informs that his friend back in France on FB wishes every "a happy new year everybody, many hairdryers and wishes of happiness, be healthy" (direct translation from french to english). There you go, sage words from a very happy Frenchaman  whatever trials and tribulations go down, whatever triumphs and victories that come your way... Actually just remembered that this is the year of the Mayan and we will all perish with the end of the world. Like I said respect all religions... Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment